Here are some helping tips on how to prepare for your newborn photo shoot. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
The baby has to be 3-7 days old at the time of the photo session. That’s the perfect age for a newborn to be photographed, cause a baby sleeps a lot and the sleep is deep.
On the day of your session it is important to help baby have some awake time prior to arriving at your photo shoot. One way to help them have some ‘awake’ time is by giving baby a bath approximately 2 hours before your session. This will help him/her wake and then be nice and drowsy when you arrive. We would also like baby to need a feed or certainly a top-up just before the photo session. So if at all possible, do not feed baby before leaving but rather wait until you get to the studio. Full, tired babies lead to beautiful sleepy photographs! We understand that babies are all different and if you do need to feed baby before arriving we will work around it. Baby always comes first! Please bring with you a pacifier/dummy if you’re using one.
Sessions do vary depending on how your baby settles but it is not unusual for a session to last 3-4 hours. The art of newborn photography is to get baby into a deep sleep so I can mold them into the different poses easily. I would rather spend 2 hours getting baby to that deep sleep state than rush the session and get lesser images. For the comfort of baby, our studio’s temperature is at a comfortable 27-30C degrees, which helps baby stay nice and warm while we have them undressed for the session. This may be too hot for you so we suggest wearing layers! I have outfits, headbands, hats etc in the studio that we will use during photo session. I will supply and have readily available a multitude of props and blankets for the session. All of my props and blankets are washable and “baby proof,” so please do not worry one bit if baby has an accident during your session. I also have hats, wraps, and other fun props to use during your session. If you have any significant family heirlooms or items that you would like to use during your session, please send me some photos and I will tell you if I’ll be able to use them in the photo session. However, please note that I cannot guarantee the use of those items as it generally depends on the cooperation of baby and safety of the item.
Please Note: Baby’s safety is #1 throughout the entire session. If I am using a prop that needs additional spotting, I will ask you to assist as I capture those images.
If you want to take a picture with your baby please bring with you a few outfits. I advise a few colors for the outfits – beige, white or light grey. It might be even black. But no logos, signs, stripes and so on. An accident might happen during the photo shoot and the baby can wet you. Please note that socks, tights must be new and matching colors with the outfit (of course if you plan to wear them). Most of the times I ask to take them off as needed.
Please note that the studio is too small and I’m not always available to feet all the family on the background for a group photo. But I will do my best and try.
The studio is located on the 1st floor of my house. We have a cat that lives with us. He doesn’t has access into the studio, but I suppose you need to know that information in case if you or someone from your family might be allergic.
If you want sibling shots please bring them at the beginning of the session with an adult that can take them home afterwards, the photo session is too long for them to be patient. Working with newborns requires peace and quite. I do spend 20 minutes trying to get nice sibling shots, but if the sibling is uncooperative I will stop trying. In that case, please don’t be sad. Don’t forget that this is a newborn photo session and the most import thing is to capture your new baby.
Please make sure to notify me if the baby has any health problems. I need to know all the details because I may not be able to put the baby in some positions that might affect the baby’s health. That is a very important information, because the safety of the baby is #1 priority!
There are a few important rules that should be respected when shooting in the studio:
- The studio space is very small so please don’t leave your children unattended. Don’t let them run in the shooting area. The floor is slippery as well as the backdrops. Your child may fall and get hurt. There are wires, there’s a heater. A big light reflector and a backdrop stand that are not really sturdy (despite the fact that some of them are secured with sandbags). These things should not be touched, pulled etc.
- There are always snacks and water for the clients in the studio. Feel free to help yourself, but only in the waiting area (on the couch). Eating and drinking in the shooting are is strictly prohibited! Not all the backdrops are washable. If a backdrop will be ruined its value must be refunded to the Photographer by the Client.
- Alcoholic beverages or drugs are NOT permitted in the studio.
- If you are smoking, please don’t smoke during / prior to photo session. There are so many children in the studio including newborns and the cigarette smell is very strong. I can not air the room between the photo sessions (especially during cold times) because I need to maintain a certain temperature.
- No personal cameras are allowed during the photo session.
- We require that a parent or a legal guardian accompany all minors to their portrait session. Due to the small space of the studio please don’t bring with you people who are not being photographed. For newborn photo sessions: If you want sibling shots please bring them at the beginning of the session with an adult that can take them home afterwards, the photo session is too long for them to be patient.